Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is it Really the Hair??

I really did try to avoid this topic like the plague because I feel as though it's like beating a dead horse. But hey...let's commence with the beating. Recently, Surgeon General Dr. Regina Benjamin, had the internet all abuzz with her comments about Black women, obesity, and lack of physical fitness.  She partially linked the problem of obesity amongst Black women to us making our hair a priority over health. Although this was only one of the possible reasons the Surgeon General attributed to why Black women have a higher obesity rate than other demographic groups, this really got people up in arms. It lead me to ask the question, "Well, is it really the hair??".

The facts are the facts...some Black women don't workout for fear of ruining a perfectly coiffed hairstyle. I remember being a little girl and dreading hot summer days, fearing that my freshly pressed hair would revert back to those kinks I learned to hate. Oh and let's not mention gym (physical education for you southern folks). I think one semester I skipped everyday because the teacher actually made us do physical activity...how dare he?!?! I would hide from the rain as if it was acid trying to melt my skin off the bones. It all sounds exaggerated but it was the truth, child!! This mentality did transfer over into adulthood for me.

Women in general are taught that their hair is their crowning glory, regardless of ethnicity. Therefore, it has to look good at all times. You had to get that wig split every other Friday or whenever, sitting in the hair salon for hours, waiting to emerge with beautiful hair that other ladies envied. But at what cost are Black women willing to sacrifice their health in order to maintain gorgeous locks??

According to The Office of Minority Health (OMH), Black women have the highest rates of being overweight or obese. About four out of five Black women are overweight or obese. Things that make you go hmmmm. In addition, when it comes to diseases that can be linked to being overweight or obesity, Blacks (male and female) are twice as likely to be diagnosed with diabetes than their White counterparts. Black people are 1.5 times more likely to suffer from high blood pressure. Black people are also more likely to be diagnosed with coronary heart disease and more likely to die from heart disease. Now, there are some stats for you!!

This information is not new. So, if this data is accurate, which I am sure it is, why wouldn't someone want to manage their weight?? It has to be much more than a hair issue. I believe that in addition to hair, it's a lack of knowledge, support, finances, time, and resources. However, we can work around these issues. If lack of knowledge is the issue, go to the library and borrow any fitness magazine to find routines that work for your fitness level, speak with someone who is active and get tips, or simply Google it. If you need support, join a group, download a training app, start a blog or join an online fitness forum or support group. You don't need money to workout, so don't let finances stop you. All you need is space not necessarily in  a gym. There are items around your house that can assist with your workout. I plan on writing a post about being fit on a budget, so be on the look out.

With all that said, I still cannot deny that hair is part of the issue. Therefore if hair is your issue, here are some tips for that, too.  I will always recommend that you choose to wear your hair natural because you won't have the issue of the hair reverting back to kinks, coils, naps, curls, whatever you call it, because it's already in that state. I wear my hair natural and sweat like crazy during my workouts. The natural hair allows my hair to remain unaffected by those sweat sessions. It would be a waste of money if I wore my hair in any other form. However, I understand that this is not an option that many women are willing to choose. If you prefer to wear your hair straightened, wigs are always an option. They have come a loooonnngg way from the days of our grandmother's wigs...LOL. No, no Brillo pad wigs in 2011.  Lacefronts, half wigs, full wigs, hair pieces, oh my!! Just choose a style and have fun with it!! I've worn my share of wigs and loved it. They are very low maintenance.

If this is still not your cup of tea but you are determined to put your health first, try wrapping your hair and tying it with a scarf during your workouts. A gym buddy, who has relaxed hair, says that she lets her hair dry completely before unwrapping it to avoid a poofy style. You can choose to blowdry your hair after each workout but I wouldn't recommend that due to potential heat damage. Putting the hair in a high ponytail has also worked well for a few of my gym buddies.

One day while in Sally's Beauty Supply, I ran across the product Dri Sweat Edge Women's Headband. See photo on the right. It's designed to absorb sweat and help maintain your style. I've never tried it because my hairstyles aren't really affected by my workouts but it may be worth a try. If you try it out please let me know how it works out for you! Braids, Senagalese and kinky twists are also great options!! You can wash and style many braided styles as needed.

I don't have a definitive method that will solve the hair and workout epidemic that has plagued the nation (sarcasm) but I can offer you suggestions. What's the point of having great hair if the rest of you (inside and outside) is jacked up?!?! At least your hair looks good, right?!?! Uhhh, no...LOL. The benefits of exercising and proper nutrition are amazing.Whatever your reason is for not working out, get rid of it.  Find reasons why you should workout. If you can't find any reasons, please scroll up and reread this post. Please encourage all the women in your life to get out and get active. NO EXCUSES!!

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the subject. What do you or your friends do about their hair when working out? Share in the comments section.

PEACE!!





5 comments:

  1. I think other reasons black women are overweight is because of lack of funds to buy healthy food and the belief that the "fat" is good. Buying fresh fruit and vegetables can be expensive because they get old fast. Many women also fear that if they work out they will lose that "thickness" and the booty, although they fail to see the big gut in the mirror that comes with that booty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for exploring this subject matter. You bring up some interesting contradictions. Does the benefit of a relaxer outweigh the cost of a love handle? Many women believe so. Standards of beauty are also culpable. I will also put forth that this exists within the context of our "colorstrucktedness;" that I see many more dark, natural and fit women is not happenstance. This relationship also needs examination. In general black folk need to get on top of their diets. What foodies called "comfort food," is standard fare for many members of the African-American community. If we live here and others are just visiting, of course we are bigger! We should no longer accept that Uncle James can't eat salt anymore and grandma got "sugar" as acceptable, particularly in relation to our own health. Of course there are socio-cultural and historical factors at play, but we gotta take some responsibility for our own health outcomes. I think this blog is a step in that direction. Good job, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love this post. I have had conversations with MANY advocates who work in minority communities trying to improve health and hair is a big issue. I too gave up on the straightening and just decided to see straightening my hair as a treat, because my hair has to form around the functions in my life.

    Anyway, I eat LOTS of fruits and vegetables and try very hard with the healthy eating. My grocery bills have actually gone down. Processed foods may keep longer, but they are more expensive. Simple dishes with unprocessed ingredients are less costly. Eating in moderation and the right portions ALSO lowers your grocery bill. Buying crazy amounts of snacks ( like the 100 calories snack packs) is a joke. No one helps the bottom line in their bank or butt with those moves. NOT eating 2-3 times the servings is another way to save.

    I'd like to see a post on the myths around how eating healthy is too expensive. I'd be willing to collaborate with some cool and cheap recipes too! Maybe like a sample menu for the week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading my post guys!! I'm glad you enjoyed and left your comments. You all have made some great points.

    Some Black women definitely have a misconception of what the terms curvy and "thick" mean. No one should strive to be an unreasonable size but strive to be at a point where their size isn't negatively impacting their health. That gut speaks mountains of information in regards to a person's health. In fact the size of your waist can increase the risk for heart disease. We definitely need to be accountable for our diets. That comfort food is too common for too many in the Black community. I have a friend who cooks comfort food damn near every night for her family...not good.
    I notice a difference in the type of workout natural sisters do versus chemically treated. The intensity is definitely different. The sisters with relaxed hair definitely have a more casual workout experience. I'm just glad they are even in the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is awesome. I used to love going to the gym but have recently fallen into a rut. It is not due to my hair, but the time it takes to go to the gym. However, I do understand how important it is to work out. Therefore, I have started to do it little by litte.

    ReplyDelete