Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Yogurt...

Taken on my kitchen counter

If you have read any of my previous posts you may have caught the hint that Greek yogurt is one of my favorite treats. Greek yogurt has a very distinct bittersweet taste.  I would definitely say that it's an acquired taste and if you're interested in adding it to your little bag of healthier alternatives, please make note that not all Greek yogurt is created equal.
There are many Greek options out there. Chobani, Fage, Oikos, are some of the most popular selections. Greek yogurt is yogurt that has been strained to remove the whey. The lack of whey makes this type of yogurt higher in protein and lower in sugar. The straining technique also adds to the rich texture that Greek yogurt has.

Below are of some of the brands that I've tried with a little feedback. My go-to brand is Chobani so for some brands it's been a while since I've had a taste. However, I wanted to refresh my taste buds so I went to my local supermarket and purchased a few for review.

Olympus (Cherry Lowfat)
I think that if someone isn't quite ready to ride the Greek chariot then this brand may be a good option because it reminded me a lot of regular yogurt.

Oikos (Vanilla)
  • EXTREMELY tart - this is probably the tartiest of the bunch for me. Despite the extreme tartness I really liked it. I don't recall this brand tasting as tart as the one I purchased today. So maybe it was just a fluke.
  • The color and consistency reminded me of sour cream.
  • Strong smell
  • The vanilla taste was very faint. It was dominated by the tart flavor.
  • These Greek-style yogurts seem to have fewer calories than their counterparts
  • Other flavors come with the fruit on the bottom
  • Visit the webpage for more information.
Cabot (Vanilla)
  • We really liked this brand and flavor
  • Good mixture of sweetness and tartness
  • Creamy and a decent amount of vanilla flavoring
  • Check out the website
Dannon
  • Definitely not a fan of is brand
  • The flavor is too faint
  • It doesn't really have the texture that most Greek yogurts have. 
  • Nutritional Information is about the same for many of the Greek yogurt brands.
  • Read more about it here
Fage
Chobani
  • Flavorful
  • Fruit on the bottom options
  • Great combination of sweetness and tartness
  • Thick and smooth
This brand is by far my favorite brand!! Not only is it good but it's ALWAYS on sale at my local supermarket. Greek yogurt can be a little pricey depending on the brand. If I purchase it using my customer value card I can get 10 yogurts for 10 bucks...can't beat that! I love this brand so much that I contacted Chobani and was able to have their Communications Manager, Emily Schildt, answer a few questions about the product. Sure, I'm a little bias when it comes to Greek yogurts...but it's my blog and I can do whatever I want...hehehehe! See below for the Q&A.


Chobani Questions

  1. What separates Chobani’s Greek yogurt from the rest of the Greek yogurts on the market?
    1. The yogurt story in this country is just getting started, and we’re simply happy to be a part of it. Our CEO, Hamdi Ulukaya, founded Chobani with the belief that Americans have great taste, they just need better options.  That’s why we’ve created a creamy, delicious yogurt using only the best natural ingredients for an authentic taste that packs twice as much protein.
  2. How much of the sugar in Chobani’s yogurt is from added sugar?
    1. There is no added sugar in our yogurt. Our recipe’s about as simple as food gets- just milk and cultures. To the fruit in our fruit-on-the-bottom flavors, we add less than a teaspoon of evaporated cane juice, an all-natural, unrefined sugar. This helps keep the fruit separate from the yogurt, maintaining its thick texture.
  3. How many Chobani flavors are on the market? Which flavor is a customer favorite?
    1. We currently have 14 flavors on the market, and are continuously coming up with more. Our best-selling flavor is Blueberry, though Pineapple has a very fanatic following.
  4. How did the Chobani brand get its name?
    1. Chobani is derived from the word “chopani” which means shepherd in many Mediterranean languages. It’s a symbol of safety, giving, and good.
  5. How did the idea of creating a Greek yogurt develop?
  6. Is this product safe for individuals who are lactose intolerant?
    1. Many Chobani fans with lactose sensitivities find Chobani goes down easily, as the majority of lactose is removed during our straining process. That said, it’s always best to proceed with care.
  7. How is Greek yogurt different from non-Greek yogurt?
  8. What are the health benefits from eating Chobani yogurt?
    1. Where to begin?! Chobani is packed with twice as much protein as regular yogurt, made with only natural ingredients, and contains low or no fat.
  9. Does the company have any plans on expanding the Chobani brand into other products (i.e. smoothies, shakes, etc.)?
  10. How long has Chobani been on the market?
    1. Four years.
  11. How can fellow yogurt lovers find out if Chobani is available in their area?
    1. Fellow yogurt lovers, hop here: http://chobani.com/products/where!
  12. Are there plans on making the low-fat flavors into no-fat versions?
    1. We carefully develop each flavor according to a combination of fan request and level of deliciousness. Should a certain number of requests lead us to take a 2nd taste of any of our low-fat flavors, we’re open to the offering, so long as it’s tasty of course!
Whether you choose regular yogurt or Greek yogurt you are making a healthy choice. Both yogurt types have probiotics, which are healthy bacteria or yeasts and both are good sources of calcium. However, if you look closely at the nutritional data on some Greek brands, you may find that Greek is the better option. Remember to read the labels before you purchase and always eat in moderation! Cheers to healthy eating!!

Do you eat Greek yogurt? What's your favorite brand?

Peace!




2 comments:

  1. Fage and chobani are my favorite brands. I turned my co-worker on to the Greek. Yes, indeed it's a great treat. I'm glad you listed all the brands and your opinion, I was going to try dannon but now I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Siddiqah, Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving your comments. Don't forget to share the link on your FB page (smile). Chobani is definitely my favorite, and Fage is great alternative. Aside from the taste, the price is what keeps me going back to Chobani. It's always on sale at my local grocer. Don't let my opinion guide your decision. Try Dannon, you may like it.

    ReplyDelete