Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Monday, January 9, 2012

Real Life.Real People.Real Results

January Spotlight

In the new year I have decided to begin a monthly feature which will showcase real people who have achieved health and fitness success. Mahogany Strength's first spotlight will be Heather Owens. She has demonstrated amazing commitment to her weight loss goals and it has paid off. Check out her story below and her before and after photos.
Heather Before


 1.       How much weight have you lost? 
       40 pounds
Heather After















2.     What was the turning point in your life that made you make your health a priority and not an afterthought?

In 2003, I lost my father to a random heart attack, he was only 55.  In December of 2009, I lost my mother to heart failure after a lengthy illness.   I realized how important it was for me to make sure I start taking care of myself BEFORE I had health issues.  I wanted to focus on myself while I’m single with no kids and have the time and energy to devote to creating a healthy lifestyle.

3.      What changes did you make in your life?
Typically, I work out at least 5 days a week.  I am a huge label reader.  I love running.  I’m learning to swim soon.   Definitely more activity and better monitored what I put in my mouth.

4.      What are some tools that helped you achieve your goals?
To be honest, my personal trainer was my biggest asset and secondly, my workout partner.  Having support and someone to hold you accountable really helps when you are struggling.  I’ve learned that the process is more mental than it is physical.  

5.     What advice would you give to someone who is struggling to lose weight and make healthy decisions?  
      You are worth it!  As I said before the hardest part is the change in mentality, not the physical work.  When you start working out and eating healthy, there is a direct correlation to feeling better and having more energy. 

6.     What are some of your favorite healthy dishes? 
      I’m a huge fan of salads, I know it sounds cliché, but I am.  I shop at the Farmer’s Market and try to incorporate as many fresh fruits and vegetables into my diet as possible.  I love to snack on raw broccoli.  I also predominantly drink water. 
7.     
         How do you resist temptation? 
     Easy, my before and after pictures.  When I see how far I’ve come, it’s easy to resist.  

8.     What is your workout routine?
Monday-Friday 1 hour of cardio daily.  Mondays and Wednesdays Weight/resistance training with my trainer.  Optional-4 miles on a trail Saturday and Sunday mornings.  

This is a little motivation to let you know that anything is possible. Great job, Heather!!
If you or someone you know would like to be featured click on the "Spotlight" tab at the top of the page to find out how. Peace!

2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME!! Keep up the GREAT work, Heather!! Excellent post Mrs. Beans!

    Passion, Attitude, Commitment
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason! Heather has done a fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete