Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Where's the Beef...I Mean Turkey??

I know you all remember this commercial!! Beef will always be a favorite for many people but it seems like turkey is a close second for favorite meat. Some restaurants have even taken notice and now offer the turkey burger as a menu option. Ruby Tuesday, for as long as I've been familiar with the restaurant, has always offered a turkey burger option. Arby's, Hardee's, and Red Robin are just a few other restaurants I can think of off the top of my head. 

There are always people who will swear by the beef, I prefer the turkey burger.  However, I do appreciate the taste of a nice juicy beef burger every now and again. But is there really a health benefit of choosing one over the other?? Here are some stats on ground turkey and ground beef based on 4 ounces of extra lean meat.

                                                               Ground Beef                                  Ground Turkey 
                                                                                                                       (Shady Brook Farms)
Calories                                                  140                                                  130

Protein (g)                                              23                                                    27

Total Fat (g)                                           4.5                                                   2

Cholesterol (mg)                                    65                                                   70

Sodium (mg)                                          70                                                   65

If you look at these nutritional facts for both meats, there isn't much difference between the two. Surprising??? If you choose the lean version of either meat you should be good to go. However, ground turkey not labeled "lean" may contain dark meat and skin, which will increase the amount of fat in the serving. Therefore, don't assume that all ground turkey is equally as healthy.

As far as the nutrients found in both meats, each is proven to be a good source of B-complex vitamins. These vitamins assist with the functioning of the nervous system. Ground beef had a slightly higher amount of certain vitamins, such as B-3, which helps produce energy in the body's cells, as well as B-6. B-6 breaks down protein. 
Ground Beef has twice as much zinc as ground turkey and more potassium. It also provides more iron per serving. All those things are great but you can also get these vitamins and minerals from other sources. Therefore, whatever your choice is, as long as it's lean, is all about preference. Ground turkey is a bit on the dry side when compared to beef, so that's something else to consider.

As mentioned earlier, you can find turkey burger options at many restaurants. However, don't get caught in the trap that because it's turkey it has to be healthy. Many of those burgers have calorie and fat counts that are out of this world. Once you add the bread, toppings, etc. any healthy aspect about the burger has gone out the window. Plus, I doubt they are using the leanest ground turkey available. You can order a beef burger with minimal toppings and ask for a wheat bread option, or go sans bread and this will limit your calorie and fat intake. If you don't want to opt out of bread you can have an open face burger. You simply remove the top bun, my husband has done this on many occasions. 

Whatever your choice is, just make sure it's lean. Happy eating!!

What's your preference? Leave it in the comments.

Peace!

2 comments:

  1. I have always assumed turkey was better for you, so I appreciate the side by side comparison. I was really struggling feeling like I was soooo wrong for wanting a big, juicy beef burger every once in a while! The only thing that concerns me is that my trainer told me beef takes longer to leave your system, I can't remember the difference between the two, or if there is a difference. I will make sure I eat my burgers and fully enjoy them now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard that. I tried to find some credible information about it but only found a few things. I believe that red meat takes about 1-3 days to complete the digestive process. Enjoy that juicy beef burger every now and then, Ms. Cat!! Just don't go overboard with your toppings. LOL

    ReplyDelete