Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Monday, July 26, 2010

Plyometrics...PlyometWHAT?!?!

Some of you may be familiar with this term plyometrics and many of you may not be. Allow me to give you the clinical definiton of plyometrics before I continue.

Plyometrics: Any exercise in which muscles are repeatedly and rapidly stretched ("loaded") and then contracted (as in jumping high off the ground or in push-ups with a clap between them). The aim of plyometrics is to improve muscle power. (Medicinenet.com)

Women's Health Magazine published an article about Plyometrics in their July/August issue. The article caught my attention because two days out of the week I take a Bootcamp class at my local gym. What's that you ask, who would endure such physical pain on purpose??? Ahhh, that would be me...LOL. Anyway, many of the exercises that we do during this class are plyometric exercises. I normally just categorized the class as torture but after reading this article I now have a name to call this torture.

During the class we do a number of hop squats, wall jumps, burpies, push-ups, etc. You name it we do it. According to the Women's Health Article, one of the benefits of these types of exercises is that they build lean muscle mass. Also, you can possibly see results from your workouts much sooner than a regular workout of cardio and/or strength training.

Personally, I have noticed a difference since I've started taking Bootcamp. I am definitely more fit. By fit I mean I don't tire out as quickly anymore during class. I can do many more push ups, sit ups, bicep curls, etc. before becoming fatigued. I've also dropped a few inches, so I'm definitely willing to endure the pain for the great results.

Okay, so you don't have a Bootcamp class at your gym or anything similar...we can fix that. You don't need it. You can still incorporate plyometric exercises into your workout routine. Try doing a circuit of plyometric exercises. A circuit is when you complete various exercises back to back without any rest. You rest in between circuits for 30-60 seconds.

Try these the next time you workout:
  1. Hop Squats: start in the squat position, then jump into the air with arms extended up wards (repeat for 12-15 reps)
  2. Box Jumps: find a stable object (stool, bench, something similar) that is at least 2ft tall. Jump onto that object with feet landing flat. (repeat for 12-15 reps)
  3. Wall Jumps: stand in front of a wall and with hands extended upwards, complete a vertical jump touching the wall with each jump. (repeat 12-15 reps)
  4. Jumping Jacks: I think everyone knows how to do these so I will refrain from explaining.

Also, here's a link with many more plyometric exercises for your upper and lower body, complete with animation. Some people are more visual than others.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric-training.html

Just click on the hyperlinks within the page to view the exercises. Until next time...PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment