Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The "Why" of It All...

You may be wondering why this blog site is titled "Diary of a Skinny Fat Gym Rat", well you'd like to hear the story, here it goes...

As some of you may know I am an avid gym goer. I eat, sleep, and dream about the gym. If I can't make it to the gym for whatever reason, I think of ways to make that session up. I guess you can say it can be a bit like an episode of A&E's Obsessed, maybe not that bad. Hence the "gym rat" portion of the title. Now for the other. "Skinny Fat" was a term coined by a not so skinny personal trainer at the gym I attend. I approached this personal trainer about receiving demo training on the TRX equipment. The demos are opportunities for the trainer to get your info and sell you on some personal training sessions. So, like a sucker I gave this lady my information, knowing good and well that I had no desire to get trained by this not so skinny (or fit) personal trainer. Fastforward a few days...I'm sitting in the office with this trainer and she's jotting down information that I've selectively given her. She starts explaining that she used to be in great shape but due to a thyroid problem, which I later discovered was questionable, she's now pleasantly plump. The trainer begins to show me pictures of her former slimmer self as if to prove more to herself than to me that she was really once skinny and in shape. As I let out giggles in my mind about this whole situation, she says to me "let's check your body fat percentage, you may be one of those skinny fat girls." She must have seen the confusion in my eyes regarding the term "skinny fat", so she then says to me "you know skinny fat, you look skinny on the outside but your body fat percentage is on the high side." In my mind I was thinking "well you're clearly fat fat (not that there's anything wrong with being overweight, but I became slightly defensive), but whatever, let's get this show on the road. As it turns out my body fat was within normal limits for my age, so take that "fat fat" trainer (once again, just a little defensive). And that is how I got the title for this blog.

Needless to say, I denied this trainer's services, partially due to the cost but mostly due to the fact that she clearly she didn't live by the workouts she was trying to get me to pay my hard earned money for. Every now and again I will see her in the gym and she will try and sell herself or some other program to me. I just kindly decline her requests and keep it moving. Now, my husband and I always get a good laugh about me being called "skinny fat".

I hope that you are inspired and enlightened by this blog. I want to share with you what I've learned about fitness and how it has affected my life. Maybe you can use some of my ramblings to either begin a healthier life or use it as motivation to stay healthy.

Please check back every Sunday for my nutritional tidbits. PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment