Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Quickie: I'm Still Running

It is week three of the 1/2 marathon training and I am still kicking. It is a bit more difficult than I anticipated. I have to make sure that I stay committed to achieving my weekly mileage goals. This has been my biggest obstacle because honestly some days I just don't feel like running. I have been combining the novice and intermediate training schedule to meet my needs as a runner. I'm not quite a novice but definitely not an intermediate runner. During the week I've followed the intermediate running mileage and on Saturday I do the novice long run. This has been pretty good thus far. I can definitely feel it in my body.

The training team has been great! Running in a pack is the added motivation that I need and it makes the run easier. You get to talk about work, kids, and life...before you know it, you're on mile 3. I've also met up with a lovely lady to do one of my weekly runs with. She doesn't live too far from me and runs the same pace so it works out perfectly. However, we meet up at 5:30/5:40 in the morning, which can be quite taxing on the body. People who know me well, know that I enjoy my moments of slumber...LOL.

Things that I have learned and want to improve on:
1. Rest is soooooooooooo important. I was working out 7 days but quickly realized I needed at least one day of rest. My current workout schedule is 6 days. I've also had a slight injury. My daughter thought my leg was a trampoline and jumped on the area where the calf meets the shin...OUCH!!! So now, I am really focused on resting when necessary. I'm listening to my body.

2. I probably need to eat more. I've dropped five pounds (unintentionally) and I think it's directly related to the increased running schedule. I was already at a comfortable weight so to avoid losing anymore, I'm going to increase my caloric intake.

3. I need to incorporate more outside running. Currently I run outside for two out of four of my training days. The other two are treadmill runs. The pace is pretty consistent with both types but considering the 1/2 marathon is outside on the pavement, that's where I need to run.

4. Lastly, when I first signed up for the race I wanted to get a good time. Now, I just want to finish. The idea of running 13.1 miles is still so overwhelming for me. When I think about the distance my brain starts to hurt and my left eye starts to twitch...okay maybe not but the thought is scary. However, I know that I will finish and that's all that matters.

I'll keep you posted. Until next time PE@CE!

No comments:

Post a Comment