Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Video Workouts

Video workouts are definitely not my cup of tea, however, they are a great starting point. Especially for people who are just starting to develop their fitness routine and aren't quite comfortable working out at the gym yet. After I had my daughter my fitness level was pretty low. I went to the gym frequently but some days I couldn't make it. Either my daughter was too fussy, she needed to eat, or she was napping. Plus, on occasion I was just too lazy. My last resort was the workout video. Ever since the days of Billy Blanks and Tae Bo I swore off the workout video. Something about standing in front of the T.V. jumping around to techno beats just didn't sit right with me. But after putting on 50 plus pounds during my pregnancy something was better than nothing at all. That mess you read about dropping 20lbs right after you give birth is a load of crap. At least in my case it was but anyway I digress.

My first video was Leslie Sansone's Walking Away the Pounds: 5 Day Fit Walk...LOVED IT!!! This is an indoor walking system. Anyone who knows me knows that I love my cardio workouts. This was a great beginner's cardio DVD. There are five 30 minute walking workouts. There is even a kick and walk segment. The workouts are designed so that the user can do one each day and they progressively get more difficult as the week goes on. I'm not sure what the distance is on these workouts. What I do know is that I broke a mean sweat. You determine your level of intensity while using the program, which is another great aspect of using this DVD.

I've also used some of the Pilate's and Yoga DVDs. I'm not really a fan of either. However, I'm not a huge yoga person anyway. If I do yoga or Pilates I prefer the "live" version.

If you don't want to purchase any DVDs, you can always use the workouts ON DEMAND. For some of you who may be unfamiliar with the ON DEMAND option, let me explain. Your cable or satellite service typically offers free programing such as movies, music, and fitness programs. On Verizon or Comcast you can usually find the exercise programs under the "Free" option, then go to "health & fitness" and select exercise TV.

My absolute favorite workouts are the Jillian Michaels workouts. Burn baby, burn!!! These workouts will have you sweating like you stole something. My go to ON DEMAND choices were Jill's (yeah we're on a first name basis...LOL) 30 Day Shred and her Glutes, Arms, and Legs workouts. Please be aware that the cable companies switch out the workouts every 30 days. There is a plethora of choices ON DEMAND...dancing, kickboxing, yoga, pilates, you name it's there.

Overall, I have learned not to downplay the workout video. As with any workout you get out what you put in. Therefore, you can't just do a a little two step to your favorite aerobics step video and expect to drop pants or dress sizes. Try videos that really push you out of your comfort level. Once those videos become too easy step it up a notch. Eventually, you will be leaving those workout videos in the dust.

If you have any favorites please feel free to list them in the comment section. I'd love to try them out. PEACE

2 comments:

  1. Jillian Michael's No Trouble Zone or her 30 day shred level 3. I love those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jillian Michaels...she's a beast with boobs...LOL

    ReplyDelete