Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Trip to the Clinic: Part 1

No, not that kind of clinic but a fitness and sports clinic.  I went  to get some tests done. The two tests that I took were the Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and V02 max test. This post is about the RMR test.

The RMR test measures exactly what it says, your metabolism at rest. In other words, it's how many calories your body would burn if you did nothing more than sit in a chair. Your RMR is related to your lean body mass. Your lean body mass is made up of muscle and internal organs.

I opted for this test to ensure that my current nutritional intake was sufficiently fueling my everyday living and workouts. The test is conducted under the condition that you have at least 4 hours of fasting prior to. The nutritionist, or whoever is administering the test, rolls in a machine with a tube and face mask attachment. There is also a nose clip used to ensure that you are only breathing through your mouth. I must say that this was uncomfortable. I have a broad nose and that nose pinch was entirely too small.
This is the machine, however that guy isn't me ;-)

The nutritionist, who was very nice by the way, entered my gender, age, height, and weight into the machine, hooked me up to the Darth Vader mask, and let it run for about 15 minutes. Once the test is done a sheet is printed with the results. The results indicate how many calories you burn from just your everyday activities sans exercise. The best part, I think, about the results is that it lets you know how many calories you need to intake to maintain or lose weight. The bottom line is that you have to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight. This test is a great tool to help you identify your target zones and set your weight goals.

Compared to a typical person of similar sex, age, height, and weight  my metabolic rate is fast, not super fast, but fast. I was surprised but pleasantly pleased by this result. I assumed that my metabolism was average at best. I've read articles that state that African American females have a slower metabolism when compared to other racial groups. It's good to know that I don't fit into that statistic.

This test is great for anyone who would like a little bit more info and guidance when it comes to their diet. It puts things in perspective for you, especially if you're starting on your weight loss journey. You may need to work on speeding up your metabolism or you may need to increase or decrease your caloric intake. The nutritionist who administers the test will help you work through those things. He/she will probably suggest that you set up a few follow-up  appointments to monitor your progress. The downside to that is that it can be expensive unless you can get your insurance to cover it. My RMR test cost $100.  Each follow up would be an additional 100 bucks per visit...my pockets aren't that deep.

If you're interested in an RMR test contact your local gym, health clinic, or fitness facility. I think if the price is right, it can be worth it. I apparently was doing the right thing all along and this test was more of a reassurance. So I think I could've saved my 100 bucks for something else, but oh well.

Check out my next post for my V02 max results. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment