Pages

Hey All!!! Come on in and enjoy a little slice of my world as it pertains to fitness and health. Dr. Phil once said "Get real about fat or just get real fat". I've always loved that quote...LOL

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Trip to the Clinic: Part Deux


Background: The second test I underwent was the  VO2 max test. VO2 stands for volume of oxygen. The test measures how much oxygen your body is consuming at various intensity levels. The harder you work the more oxygen your body will require.  The test also has the ability to determine how many calories you're burning at each intensity level.  I wanted to take this test so that I could identify my target workout zones and adjust my workouts accordingly. Also, I just had to know if I was as fit as I thought I was.

Set-up: The physical therapist rolled in the same machine that was used for the Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test, Darth Vader mask and all..."Luke, I am your father". She entered my gender, height, weight, and age into the machine. Before I could be hooked up to the machine I had to put on a heart rate strap. I will explain more about the necessity of the strap in a moment. Once that was complete, I hopped on the treadmill and she strapped the mask onto my face. I am hoping that they use a new mask for each person because that's a lot of air and some saliva that shoots into that mask.  I'm not so sure. I know the tube is new. The facial attachment resembles an oxygen mask with straps that go around the back of the head and a long plastic tube that is attached to the machine. It's not the most comfortable circumstances for a fitness test.
VO2 set up


The heart rate monitor is necessary because the machine is identifying at what heart rate your body crosses its threshold of aerobic and anaerobic intensity. This will determine your true target workout zones (more on that later). Aerobic activities are low intensity activities where your heart and lungs can easily supply all the oxygen your body demands. The intensity level at which your body cannot provide all the oxygen needed is your aerobic threshold. Beyond this level is start to operate with your anaerobic energy pathways.

Anaerobic means that you don't have enough oxygen to meet your energy needs due to the high intensity of levels of your workouts. You won't be able to operate at this intensity level for long periods of time. Think sprints.

*Note: This test can also be administered on a bike.

Test: Once I was all hooked up, the test was underway. I consider myself to be pretty physically fit, however, this test takes you waayyyy out of your comfort zone. Why you ask?? One word...INCLINE. Plus, that mask was heavy and awkard. During the test we had to adjust the straps to the mask. At some points, I was holding the mask in a comfortable position because I felt like I couldn't take full breaths.

The test begins with a walk at a small incline and slow speed. About every minute or so the physical therapist would increase the incline and the speed. Hills are not my idea of fun, therefore, I try to avoid them as much as possible. Well, on this day there was no avoiding and those hills attacked me with a vengeance. At one point, while the therapist was increasing the incline, I swear I heard the treadmill say, "Bitch, take that." The therapist told me that as long as I can keep up with the treadmill and I wasn't having a difficult time breathing to keep going. She also said that this wasn't going to be comfortable. She was right.

The incline reached a 10 and the speed reached a 6.5 before I reached my limit and had to be cut loose. My typical speed when running on the treadmill is 8:34 pace, which is a 7 speed on the treadmill. Needless to say I was disappointed. Those damn hills and face contraption were my downfalls. "I coulda been a contender".


Results:  Despite feeling as though I sucked miserably at the test, my results showed that my fitness level is SUPERIOR!!! Hahahahahaha...I am great...just kidding (kinda).
Blame the blur on my crappy phone


The test also provided me with my target workout zones, which will vary from person to person. This is great because I know where my heart rate should be when performing various running exercises or training for a race. The four identified zones are: low zone, moderate zone, high zone, and peak zone. For long runs I should  maintain my heart rate in moderate zone and lower end of my high zone, this way I don't crash and burn during the run. For short runs I should be at the upper end of my high zone and for sprints I should be reaching my peak.

This test was money well spent. I learned a lot and had fun. You should consider getting this test done, it will help you optimize your training. The test on it's own is $100, however, depending on where you go the prices will vary. The RMR and VO2 tests came as a package deal. I paid $150 for both tests. Not too bad. Contact your local fitness facility, gym, etc. if you're interested in getting one done.

I will leave you with a video of the test...look at the exhaustion on his face at the end of the clip...LOL
Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment